If you’re considering moving your family to BC’s Sunshine Coast, know that there’s no shortage of schools. Local School District 46 is well known for the quality of its schools, teachers, and programs.
There are a total of nine elementary schools with locations stretching from Langdale to Madeira Park. They go from kindergarten up-to-and-including grade seven with the exception of Madeira Park Elementary which only goes to grade six.
For older students, there is Elphinstone Secondary in Gibsons (8-12), Chatelech Secondary in Sechelt (8-12), and Pender Harbour Elementary/Secondary (7-12). In fact, Elphinstone just ranked in the top 50 of all BC secondary schools.
District-wide there are also K-12 programs offered through Continuing Education, SPIDER, and Sunshine Coast Alternative School.
When do schools start back up?Staff returned on Sept. 8th and 9th for orientation on the new protocols introduced in their respective schools to help mitigate exposure to COVID-19.
For students, safety protocol orientations will take place at all schools on Sept. 10 and 11. Students will be divided up either alphabetically or by grade and have assigned times that they will take part in learning the new measures implemented to help keep students and staff safe during these times.
Full-time school hours will resume starting Monday, Sept. 14, at all locations.
What protocols are being followed?The 2020 school year will look very different. As part of the safety protocol, students will be in Learning Groups. Elementary learning groups will be a maximum of 60 students, and secondary learning groups will be a maximum of 120. Learning groups will not interact with each other.
Other protocols in place are:
- Staggered start/end times, as well as staggered recess and lunch, will eliminate large groups.
- The two-metre social distancing policy is expected, and in situations that this isn’t possible such as common areas, then masks are to be worn by staff and students should they choose.
- Daytime custodial in-class cleaning and desk and high touch surface wipe downs.
- Additional hand sanitizing stations throughout the schools.
- Distribution of reusable facemasks to staff and students upon request.
- Directional floor markings to help reduce hallway congestion.
- Additional desk spacing and one-way positioning to help create distancing for students and classroom teachers.
- Limited school access in terms of doors used to access the building and/or classrooms.
Here are the numbers year over year for Aug. 2019 and Aug. 2020:
- August 2019 saw 68 total sales – 40 of them were single-family detached, and the average price of those homes was $664,831. The average time on market was 58 days, and the total dollar volume of sales was $47,250,000.
- August 2020 had 158 total sales – 85 of them were single-family detached houses with the average price of those homes being $839,000. The average time on market has been 33 days, and the total dollar volume of sales was $110,843,571.
Many of these new Coasters have chosen to raise their families here now that they can work from home and because of the excellent schools and teachers in our local School District 46.
Tony Browton - TrueBlueRealty.ca
Personal Real Estate Corporation
Re/Max City Realty (Gibsons)
Re/Max City Realty (Gibsons)